Loan Periods, Fines and Charges (Miami University Items)
Circulation policies are essentially the same on all Miami University campuses. For specifics on library services offered at branch campuses please see the policies of the Hamilton and Middletown libraries.
Miami University Students, Faculty, and Staff need a valid Miami ID with barcode to borrow circulating materials. Other persons wishing to check out materials should contact the King Library Circulation Desk for information at (513) 529-2433.
Borrowers not affiliated with the University may obtain an Affiliated Patrons of the Libraries card by completing an application during business hours Monday - Friday in the Dean's Office (225 King Library) and by contributing $25 tax deductible donation cash or check annually. This card does NOT provide off-site access to library databases.
Items can be returned to any library. Book drops on the Oxford Campus are also located in the Shriver Center and in Alexander Dining Hall.
REMINDER: Patrons are responsible for all items on their account. A list of books checked out can be viewed (and renewed) on the Checkouts & Renewals page available on the Libraries' web site. Overdue notices are provided as a courtesy; non-receipt of an overdue message does not exempt patrons from fines.
Miami University Books
- Undergraduate Students - 3 Weeks
- Graduate Students - 1 Semester
- Faculty - 1 Year
- Other Patrons - 3 Weeks
Loan periods for Reserve Items vary from 2 hours to 7 days. See the section Reserve Items for details.
Graduate students and faculty may check out journal issues/volumes for 24 hours with approval from the Reference Librarian on duty.
- Books - $.50 per day to a maximum of $15.00.
- IMC Videos - $2.50 per day up to a maximum of $15.00 per video.
- Reserve Items - $2.50 for the first hour overdue and $.75 per additional hour, to a maximum of $24.25 per item.
- Recalled Materials - $.75 per day to a maximum of $24.25 per item.
- Electronic Equipment (e.g., laptop computers): $5 per hour to a maximum of $100.
- Books - The replacement cost for lost material is $70.00 per item, plus a $30.00 cataloging and processing fee. Any overdue fines will also be added. Replacement charges cannot be refunded for items more than one year overdue
- Electronic Equipment - $2,000 per laptop, $495 per digital camera, and actual cost for accessories.
- Repair Charges - Charges to repair damaged or mutilated library materials or equipment will reflect actual repair costs.